Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Celery, Oryx, and Camels, Oh My

Today I went on an AWA trip to a greenhouse and a private zoo.

The first stop was a greenhouse that grows veggies and all kinds of plants. I got green beans, 2 heads of lettuce, a huge bunch of celery and 6 small cucumbers for about $6.50. That is a great price for here, plus everything is grown in Doha so it is fresh, they pick it and bring it right to the barn for you to pick up. Cheap and fresh are two things you don't get in the grocery store!

Then we went on to a private zoo. I have never been so close to the animals (see my pictures on facebook.) First we had tea and dates, then they gave us a tour. We got to drive golfcarts around the path where the Ostrich and Emus wander around freely. We also saw oryx, camels, zebras, donkeys and some animals I don't the name.

After the trip the car I was in went to the camel race track. There is a road that goes around the track and you can follow along when they race. As we were leaving we saw some camels coming in for practice. They don't have jockeys but robots on top that are remote controled. The robots, that look like monkeys, still wear numbers and different colored "shirts" like real jockeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment