Sunday, September 25, 2011

Volunteering

Last Thursday, I joined an AWA lady and her daughter at QAWS-Qatar Animal Welfare Shelter to help walk dogs. At first it was very sad and I wasn't sure I could do it. After a brief overview we were leashing up dogs. I was un-prepared and wore sandals. We each walked two dogs, one at a time. We got a little lost the first time around, but made it back without incident. It is a dirty sweaty job, but when the dogs look into your eyes and you melt, I knew that I would come back.



Today I made the 45 minute drive myself out there, the last mile is off road. I walked 3 dogs separately, then thought I was ready to handle 2 at a time. I had walked Queenie last time and she was great so I took her and her kennel mate Duchess. They were wild to start but then settled down. I bought some cheap closed toe shoes which ended up giving me blisters and I was dirtier this time than last.




I will get some new shoes and go back again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment