Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Souq Shop Haggling

This morning I bought my Jalabiya to wear to the Arabian Nights dinner on Saturday, pictures will follow. The cost was 250 Rials, so I said to the guy "how about 200," the guy said "230" and I was good with that, then another guy came in and they chatted and the first guy told me 200, sold! Which works out t0 about $55, not bad for a party dress. Then I met up with AWA ladies for a fabric shopping trip, mostly just to look and see what is available-tons of silks: printed, embroidered, plain, Liberty Cottons which are from England and kinda of vintage prints, lots of lace too. Makes you want to have a ballgown after seeing everything. I met a twenty something American that just arrived in Qatar a week ago. We had a long lunch(all meals take forever here.) Then we bought some Pashminas and talked the guy down from 25 to 10 Rials. I felt good about my skills today! And I tried to find a shop I heard about and went on some streets I had never been on and some how ended up exactly where I needed to be to get back home (score again!) Never did find shop though.

No comments:

Post a Comment