Thursday, March 27, 2014

Doha Bus-Hop On Hop Off



Today I joined 39 other AWA members and toured Doha on the Hop On Hop Off Bus.  A new tourist attraction here in Qatar, but found all over the world.  Previously I have been on one in Dublin. 

The bus provided cultural and historical information. I learned a few things, such as:  the Corniche is 7km long and was made when they dredged the bay.  When they started having mail service they used British stamps. City Center is one of largest malls in Middle East (where I buy my groceries.) The parliament is made up of half elected and half appointed officials, interesting concept.  The man-made island of the Pearl (where I live) has the largest marine life in Qatar surrounding it.
Outside the Museum of Islamic Art
The bus is two stories and the top level has a retractable roof which provides great views of Doha, a little windy.  There are 18 stops around town which you can get off at, then get back on a bus when you are ready.  Tricia, our organizer, planned some games with prizes and I won one!  A tissue holder dressed as Arabic woman, made by Tricia.

The tour took 31/2 hours with a stop at Souq Waqif for some shopping and coffee.  

Doha Skyline from the Corniche

No comments:

Post a Comment