Friday, October 4, 2013

Cupcakes, Fish and Michigan

This has been a busy week with AWA:

On Monday I went to an icing demonstration at the famed, New York based, Magnolia Bakery.  We got to try samples and learn how to ice the cupcakes.  It takes the employees 40 hours of training and once they get it down, they can ice 15 cupcakes in 5 minutes. I had to take a brownie home and it very good (although John said "not as good as Ann's.")  Then I went out to lunch with two ladies, one from the Detroit area.




Wednesday I had to get up at 4:30am for a snorkel trip.  After an hour drive north and a pit stop at the last gas station with a restroom, we arrived at the "French Beach" I guess the French used to go there.  We got on our gear and headed out with our guide named Steve, and he is from the St. Joe area.  Saw lots of fish and coral.  I also got to be Steve's first person to have a run in with a sea urchin.  My knee feel into it as a wave pushed me over.  It hurt a lot at the time, but the tiny pricks are almost heeled now.  In the end we were all glad we got up early to go.

On Thursday, I went to a sushi demonstration. He started from the very begining, as in fileting the  salmon. Then how to take bones out, skin off and cut it into pieces for the Shake Sushi.  We got samples, and yes I tried the raw salmon and it was good in the Sashimi dressing he made.  He also showed how to make the Wasabi paste and how to present everything.  Then one of his assistants made the Californa Roll Maki and of course passed out samples (my favorite kind of sushi.)  For the adventurous type, you could try your hand at making the rolls, I just watched and ate.  Didn't meet anyone fom Michigan at this event.


No comments:

Post a Comment